High Level Investigation Ordered Against Tripura Police HQ Theft Case


Three days after unidentified miscreants broke into the Tripura Police HQ and stole at least a total of  165 files the state’s govt today on Thursday, August 18 ordered a high-level probe into the incident.

A statement issued by the police on the evening of Thursday said that primary investigations done on the matter suggested that the incident was an act of some drug addicts.

As per reports, five-person, police suspects to be involved in the incident have been arrested so far by the west Agartala Police Station.

The police statement issued on Thursday reads, “On the intervening night of August 15 and 16, some bundles of files meant for weeding, destruction as well as some dormant files that were lying in an isolated cabin of the police headquarters were stolen and damaged by miscreants.”

It further read, “All the files were recovered due to the immediate action by the police within a few hours of the incident. During the preliminary investigation of the case, it appears to be the work of drug addicts. A high-level inquiry by a senior police officer has been ordered and necessary action is being taken for the security lapse.”

Officer in Charge of West Agartala Police Station, Subrata Chakraborty, speaking to the media on the issue said, “A total of 165 files were stolen and all those files were recovered from where they were hidden. So far, five persons have been arrested and produced before the court. They will be in custody till August 23,”

Meanwhile, a senior officer of the headquarters, on the other hand, said that they are yet to know the exact reasons behind the incident. The officer, who wants his identity to remain undisclosed, speaking to the media said, “However, our probe is on to know the reason and intention of the theft. The security of the PHQ is being reviewed to prevent any recurrence in future and necessary action is being taken for security lapse,” the official told IANS, refusing to be named.

Earlier on August 16th, the Tripura Pradesh Congress Party called for a press conference wherein Congress MLA Sudip Roy Barman criticized the police and the government and demanded a judicial probe into the matter.

Former Chief Minister of Tripura Manik Sarkar too in a letter to Chief Minister Manik Saha regarding the incident demanded a higher level of inquiry into the matter and urged to hand over the case to top cops of the state for faster results.

The incident of August 15 is a shame to the state’s headquarters for the reason that it is one of the most secured complexes in the state guarded by the state’s police forces along with the Tripura State Rifles. The incident has raised questions about the efficiency of the state’s police and has become a matter of prestige for the department and adequate steps, therefore, are being taken in regards of the incident.