Meghalaya PHE Department Storage Devastated by Shillong Fire


A devastating fire broke out at the storage facility of the Meghalaya Public Health Engineering (PHE) department located in Shanmari, Lumshyiap, Shillong, on a Saturday afternoon. Locals reported seeing thick black smoke billowing into the sky as flames consumed the storage area, which housed a significant quantity of flexible plastic pipes, primarily HDPE pipes.

Suspected Cause and Response

Officials from the fire department suspect that the fire may have originated in a nearby forest before spreading to the PHE department’s storage facility. As a precautionary measure, the Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL) promptly cut off electricity to the affected area, reinstating power once the fire was brought under control.

Upon noticing the fire around 3 pm, Phira Khongphai, the Rangbah Shnong of Lumshyiap, swiftly alerted the Meghalaya Fire and Emergency Services. Firefighters arrived promptly and deployed 8-10 fire tenders to combat the inferno.

Initial reports suggest that the fire might have been sparked by children playing with fire in the forest. However, an official statement regarding the exact cause is pending, as investigations are ongoing.

PHE Executive Engineer A Sunn estimates that the fire resulted in a loss of approximately Rs 80-85 lakh. To prevent such incidents in the future, the department intends to hold discussions with the Dorbar Shnong (local council) regarding the installation of fencing around the property.

In response to the incident, the Rangbah Shnong has announced that the Executive Committee will convene a meeting to discuss fire safety measures and issue advisories for the community.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here